Sunday, February 8, 2015

New Plymouth Half Ironman

Well am back on the horse and racing well again, it was tough having a couple of average races but things are back on track and it was nice to win again in New Plymouth for the third year in a row.  A good hard course always suits me so coming down here feeling fit I felt I knew the race would be a good hit out and a great opportunity to practice Pre and race nutrition.   Seeing that Clarky and Hamish were on the start list I knew it wouldn’t be a stroll in the park this year and was a little nervous especially in the middle of some quality IM training.  Sure enough Hamish was right on my heels out of the water and Clark not too far behind.  Out onto the bike I was able to get a small gap on Hamish but it was short lived with the two of them reeling me back in after 20kms.  From previous years I learnt that you can’t push too hard on this bike course or you will pay for it on the run, so I just set a strong tempo which ended up giving me a little buffer coming off the bike.  So out on the run I settled into a good tempo that I managed to repeat over each of the 3 laps and finish with plenty in the tank.

Again it was great to be back in New Plymouth racing, it such a great event and perfect timing if you are doing IMNZ which will be my next race.

Until then, thanks for the support.


Graham


Maybe next year you want to have a go! http://www.nphalfironman.co.nz/halfironman


No comments: