Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Rinse, Wash…Repeat

Far between but here’s an update – Taupo, Tauranga, Wanaka

2015 finished better than it started, managed to take out a 5th place at the Taupo 70.3 after not feeling that flash and a few problems with some gear…so was happy to get to the line.  Thought that my run was not representative of what I felt I was capable of I decide to road trip to Rotovegas and clear out the lungs a bit for the half ironman there.   Managed to put together a solid run and get the course record so things were back on track with Tauranga only three weeks away it was good timing to get a win under my belt.

From there the next couple of weeks were a bit up rough to say the least, sickness and mechanicals were tormenting me but I still planned on having a good race in Tauranga…obviously not.  A slow swim, extra slow bike where I seemed to be burning up all my matches trying to ride my legs into some shape, that really doesn’t help you for a good run so quarter the way through I was done, stopped in my tracks at the base of the Mt.

So an easy week or so and feeling healthy again it was time for IM training for Wanaka.  It was good to get out and do some long solid sessions, got some confidence back and I was starting to get a bit excited thinking this was the one, I was finally going to conquer this distance…until….I got sick again, recovered…again then got nailed…again…

Pretty gutted but I’m not done, plan on revisiting the drawing board and taking a few more vitamin c.  The passion is still there to do well and not let this distance get the better of me!

I must say thanks to the Challenge brand, definitely a family feeling at the race, a great event, people and location!

Cheers
Gog

No comments: